Friday, March 20, 2009

Aloha Night

BubbleShare: Share photos - Easy Photo Sharing


It is our Aloha festival tonight at Grey Lynn School! Our school is a hive of activity. The stage is being built, the field is being readied for stalls, and right outside our classroom window, the umu is being prepared. Here are some of our stories about the umu preparation and our predictions for Aloha night!

We have just watched the pig get chopped up for the umu with a knife and an axe! I smelt smoke and saw smoke. It looked cool like a house on fire, but it made me feel sick because the smoke got into my mouth. I heard an axe hitting the bone of the pig as it was being chopped. I tasted smoke in my mouth. I feel happy and excited about Aloha tonight!
By Jordan

When we watched the pig get chopped up, I smelt smoke like when you roast marshmallows. I heard the banging of the axe and coughing because of the smoke. It felt like my mouth was going to water. I feel excited about Aloha.
By Matt

Today outside our class people were making an umu and they were cutting up a pig. Tonight it is Aloha. I think they are going to sell the pig at Aloha. I saw lots of smoke from the umu. I saw the people chopping the pig with an aze. I heard the noise of the bone being cut. It sounded really loud. I smelt smoke. I also tasted smoke. I am so excited!
By Amy

I predict that at Aloha there will be people performing on stage, dog rides, hairspray, glow sticks, tattoos, jaffas, cakes, and muffins. I can't wait till Aloha. It's going to be a lot of fun. There will probably be lots of pig to eat. When it gets dark I'm going to buy a glow stick and a ride with Amy, probably the dog ride. I can't wait!
By Celia

3 comments:

  1. Jordan its wonderful that you are commenting about something about to happen and the pictures are up already as well! You'll have to make a post afterwards to tell us what it was like! I love seeing the pig on the table!
    Mr Webb and Room 8, Melville Intermediate, Hamilton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Room 10 and Jordan,
    That was a great piece of writing. Wow, I can't believe you had an umu at school that is a lot of work but you are lucky to have lots of people helping. Did you eat the food from the umu? Was it yummy? I love umu food. Great photos too.

    Miss Lavakula

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jordan

    I loved reading your story and seeing the photos of the preparations. I am very glad to hear that the umu is being prepared because I am coming across to your school to have some umu tonight. I am looking forward to all the music too.
    Mrs Burt

    ReplyDelete